Friday, February 14, 2014

Interview Series: Narrow Bridge Finance

This is an guest post from the Personal Finance Blog Debt Discipline:

This is the Sixth in a series of personal finance blogger interviews with fellow personal finance bloggers. Today’s guest is Eric Rosenberg from Narrow Bridge Finance.  

Who is Eric Rosenberg?  
Eric: A lot of my blogger friends know me as DenverEric (my Twitter name). I grew up in Denver and recently moved to Portland to follow a dream of moving somewhere that I chose myself. When I’m not at my day job in corporate finance or blogging, you can find me on my cruiser bike, DJing, planning flash mobs, exploring my city, or traveling hacking my way around the world.  

Why did you start your blog?  
Eric: I started my blog just after leaving my job working as a bank manager. I had already been blogging about politics, so it was easy for me to start my second long-running blog. I had lots of great, fresh information on how the banking industry works, and wanted to share my knowledge on banking, investing, mortgage loans, and general personal finance with a new audience. Over time, my blog has grown to include other writers and tips about all parts of your financial life. I have shared my journey of paying off my student loans, buying my first home, and aggressively saving for retirement.  

What are your favorite Blogs?
Eric: Well, my own of course! Okay, I know what you mean. When I’m reading other blogs, I like to read a lot about personal finance and travel hacking. I’ve become friends with lots of blogger by going to the Financial Blogger Conference (FinCon), and love to read my friends blogs first. I am a regular reader of PT Money, Beating Broke, Sustainable Life Blog, Punch Debt in the Face, Financial Samurai, and a lot of other quality blogs. When I’m getting an itch for travel, I like to read The Art of Non-Conformity, Nomadic Matt, Legal Nomads, and the Blond Abroad. The Points Guy and The Frequent Miler help me find new deals to travel free, or close to it.  

When did you first become financially literate?  
Eric: My first memory learning about personal finance was when I was about ten years old. My Grandpa Joe sat me down with a general ledger book and taught me to track my income and expenses so I would know how much I was making, spending, and the change in my assets. I didn’t think much of it for a few years, but that was the starting point of my interest in personal finance, investing, and my eventual career choice.

What was the last item you regretted purchasing?  
Eric: I try to live with a no-regrets financial lifestyle. I think it is totally okay to spend money on whatever you value and enjoy as long as you take care of the “have to” spending first. I also make myself wait for a few days before I buy anything expensive. I have a personal rule against buying anything expensive on a whim.

If you died today, would your family be OK? 
Eric: Well, they would be really sad. I hope! I don’t have any kids yet, and my finance does just fine supporting herself financially. I wouldn’t worry about anyone going hungry or homeless if I weren’t here. Once I do have a bigger family, I plan to get quality life insurance to make sure everyone is covered. If I were really smart, I would do it now while the rates are lower.

What are you teaching (or will you teach) your kids about money?
Eric: I’ll try to teach them the lessons my Grandpa taught me. I will teach them to spend less than they earn, track everything you earn and spend, invest for the future, and live with financial discipline. I always like to remind people that Warren Buffet didn’t get rich by spending all of his money, and I’m sure my future kids will hear that more than once growing up.  

What’s your dream job?  
Eric: For now, I have a great job that I’m lucky to enjoy and make plenty to cover my lifestyle. In the long run, I’d love to be a Fortune 500 executive or be 100% self-sustaining running my own business. I know they seem different, but to me they are similar. At the top of the ladder, you are really self-determining quite a lot of how your lifestyle works and can make big choices to run a company.  

How Did You Make Your First Dollar of Side Income? (Write in question)
Eric: I am a huge proponent of building multiple income streams. Whether you have a full-time day job or you run your own business, you never know when something will go wrong. Having back up money sources is hugely important. I made my first money outside of my main job writing online. I was doing quite a lot of Wikipedia editing those days, and I found I could write for sites like eHow and make a few bucks for doing something similar to what I was already doing. From there, it wasn’t a big step to starting my own blogs and building up several related income streams including advertising and freelance writing.

Eric Rosenberg has been blogging since 2006 and is the owner and editor at Narrow Bridge Finance, a personal finance blog designed to save you time, money, and headache when dealing with your money. He has a B.S. and MBA in finance and experience working in banking and corporate finance.

If interested in participating in a future interview, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment