Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Interview Series: The Wealth Gospel

This is an guest post from the Personal Finance Blog Debt Discipline:

This is the second in a series of personal finance blogger interviews with fellow personal finance bloggers. Today’s guest is Ben Luthi from The Wealth Gospel.  

Who is Ben Luthi?  
Ben: I’m a 27-year old dude and live in Northwest Arkansas with my wife, Kilee, and our dog, Paisley (No, we’re not from there, which is why my grammar is…well let’s just not go there). Anyhoo, I love love love traveling, the outdoors, being active and reading classic literature. I lived in Germany for a couple of years and dream almost every day of going back, and I am obsessed with food, especially German food.  

Why did you start your blog?
Ben: I started The Wealth Gospel in August 2013. After being unemployed my first six months out of college, I took a job in July out of desperation because we were out of money. Not knowing when I would be able to move up or find a better job elsewhere, I decided to start a blog and build it as a side business. Although I’ve made just a tiny amount off the blog itself in the last four months, I’ve gotten a lot of freelancing opportunities and am earning about half my paycheck on the side.

What are your favorite Blogs?  
Ben: Oh man, where to start?! I was reading Mr. Money Mustache and Good Financial Cents long before I ever thought about starting my own. Budgets are Sexy was the first one that sowed the seed of blog love in my heart, so I owe J. big time for that. He’s also done a little consulting for me and it’s given me a huge boost, so I highly recommend getting with him if you are just starting out! Holly over at Club Thrifty has been a huge inspiration for me on the freelancing side. Other than that, it would probably be a little too intense to list all my other faves, but a few are Broke Millennial, which is an awesome read for young people, Frugal Portland, who has a hilarious personality and is the perfect resource for peeps living in the Portland area, and Financial Samurai, whose posts are always well thought out and sophisticated.  

When did you first become financially literate?  
Ben: I’ve always been a saver by nature, but it wasn’t until I read Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover in 2009 that I started really thinking about any of that stuff. Although there are a lot of things I don’t agree with Dave about, it was really a great way to get my feet wet and it got me thinking about a lot of things that I had never really considered before.  

What was the last item you regretted purchasing?  
Ben: I know this is going to sound lame, but I honestly can’t remember regretting something I purchased. For the most part I’m pretty boring. I should say, though, that I should regret going on a cruise to the Bahamas and taking a week trip to Anaheim while my wife and I were in college. We had the money to do it at the time, but ended up having to take out student loans later because we had spent the money. But I love traveling too much to really regret it :)  

If you died today, would your family be OK?  
Ben: Indubitably! I won’t say exactly how much life insurance I have, but it’s enough so that my wife will never have to worry about money again. I know some people who think it’s a waste to have a lot of insurance when you don’t have kids, but personally, I believe in an afterlife and I’d prefer to not die and then get that brought up for the rest of eternity (that was a joke). But really, I’m pretty passionate about life insurance, although I definitely don’t judge other people who feel differently about it.  

What are you teaching (or will you teach) your kids about money?  
Ben: No kids yet, but we’re definitely hoping that will change soon! From what I’ve observed of my siblings, I can tell that it’s difficult to teach your kids about anything, really, because they can still choose to do what they want. But I actually wrote an article a few months ago about a few things I’d like to teach my future spawn, so I’ll let you read about it there.  

What’s your dream job?
 Ben: Oh baby! Let’s talk about this for a minute or two. My dream job consists of a Timothy Ferriss-like online business that allows me to do minimal management and maximum world travel and culture experience. But that’s a little ways out, so the next step for me right now is to become a full-time freelance writer so I can work from home. The goal is to accomplish that by the end of 2014, so anyone looking for a writer or know someone who is, drop me a line :)

If you could have one super power, what would it be? (write in question)  
Ben: If I could have any super power, I think it would be the power to make anyone near me wet their pants. Can you imagine the power you would have? Walk into any public place and people would go out of their way to make you happy. But, of course, with great power comes great responsibility. I would just need to figure out what that would mean...

Ben Luthi is a freelance writer and personal finance blogger who writes regularly at The Wealth Gospel. He is passionate about helping people find their true potential and align their behaviors with their goals. He’s a chips and salsa connoisseur and his spirit animal is Warren Buffett. You can follow him on Twitter @thewealthgospel or like him on Facebook.

 If interested in being a part of this interview series please drop us an e-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment