Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Interview Series: The Student Loan Sherpa

This is an guest post from the Personal Finance Blog Debt Discipline:

This is the third in a series of personal finance blogger interviews with fellow personal finance bloggers. Today’s guest is Michael Lux from The Student Loan Sherpa.  

Who is The Student Loan Shepra?  
Michael: One of millions of college grads who finished school with no real appreciation for the impact that student loans would have on his life.  Now I share my experiences with others to hopefully save a few people some time, money, and heartache.  

Why did you start your blog?
Michael: I started my blog because I knew there were many people just like me.  I also I knew I had information that was not readily available, so I saw the blog as an opportunity to reach out and help people.  

What are your favorite Blogs?  
Michael: I like any blog that offers a unique point of view or relevant personal experience.  It’s easy to write articles about how too much credit card debt is bad, I like the one’s that put something out that that nobody else does.  Mr. Money Mustache is a great example.  I don’t always agree with him, but he is one of a kind.  I respect that.  

When did you first become financially literate?  
Michael: I don’t think I am, and I really don’t think anyone else out there is.  I suppose we can debate the financial literacy of Warren Buffet, but the point is that there is always more to learn.  There are always new concepts.  The financial rules seem to constantly be changing, so I think its dangerous to believe you have it under control.  

What was the last item you regretted purchasing?
 Michael: I’m really racking my brain on this one.  I’m quite happy this isn’t an easy question to answer. After some thought, I will go with the triple steak burrito at Taco Bell.  It wasn’t up to the delicious standard I have come to expect from TB, and my digestive system was similarly disappointed.

 If you died today, would your family be OK?  
Michael: I would hope that they would be devastated I was gone, but from a financial standpoint I think they would be ok.  I would expect my life insurance to be more than sufficient.  

What are you teaching (or will you teach) your kids about money?  
Michael: I think the most import thing would be to teach them that money is not the most important thing.  It is simply a means to an end.  Money is not how you keep score in life, nor should it be valued above the things that are truly important.  

What’s your dream job?
Michael: Professionally, I’m in my dream job.  I also love that I have the opportunity to blog about a subject I’m passionate about when I am not at the office.  

What is your best piece of advice? (write in question)  
Michael: Do the math!  I find myself saying this when I answer emails and when I write articles.  Financial questions may seem like simple black and white issues, but the reality is that there is so much gray.  The only way you will ever know what is best for you is to crunch the numbers.

 Michael Lux is an Indiana attorney and the founder of The Student Loan Sherpa, a website dedicated to helping people navigate the burdens of student loan debt.

 If interested in participating in a future interview, please contact me.

1 comment:

  1. I want to understand about personal finance so I can understand to use my cash smartly at an starting age and generate income perform for me and not the other way circular.

    ReplyDelete