Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Interview: Debt Discipline

This is an guest post from the Personal Finance Blog Debt Discipline:

It’s that’s time of year when you typically reflect on the year that was. I thought I’d sit down with myself and get to know myself a little better.

Who is Brian?  
Brian: I’m a father of 3 children age 14, 14 (fraternal twins) and 11. My wife and I have been together for 17 years, married for 14. I have been with the same company for 19 years. We didn’t start to get our finances together until 2010.

Why did you start this blog?  
Brian: After learning so much in a short period of time about personal finance and getting our finances on track I began to want to help others. I started the blog to share my family’s story with debt, help others and maybe make a little side income.

Have you helped anyone so far?  
Brian: I have in my personal life. I have sat down with family members to help review their finances, budgets, etc. I have helped my brother get on the right path with his money. We share our stories with friends and I believe we have changed a few peoples thoughts on their money.

What other blogs do you follow?  
Brian: The first blog I found back in 2010 was “Punch Debt in the Face”. I read Budgets are Sexy and Get Rich Slowly regularly. There are so many great blogs with unique points of view. I try and read as many as possible and comment. I often feature them in my week end round up.

What’s special about Debt Discipline?  
Brian: Like some many other blogs I just think it’s my point of view and my personal story. We are a family of 5 struggling with over $109k in debt and we have managed to pay off over $84K of it back so far. I think that is an amazing accomplishment and I want others to have the same success we have.

How do you stay motivated?  
Brian: I blog about our finances, read books, and read blogs. I listen to a number of pod cast. I still get a smile on my face when I hear people on the Dave Ramsey show do their debt free scream. I image my family doing that next year. I keep reminding my self what it will be like in 11 months when we have an extra $2k per month in our budget. Most of all my children keep me motivated. I want them to never know debt, to start off at a young age on the right path with money and never struggle like their mom and dad have.

If interested in participating in an interview, please head over to Debt Discipline and drop me an e-mail/

Is there anything else you’d like to know about me, my family or Debt Discipline?

No comments:

Post a Comment