Thursday, January 2, 2014

Counting Stars

This is an guest post from the Personal Finance Blog Debt Discipline:



Today’s post is dedicated to a song I can’t seem to get out of my head, “Counting Stars” by One Republic. I’m sure you are familiar with the song. It’s all over the radio right now and it the top ten on the pop charts. If not, give it a listen. Be warned its pretty catchy and might be stuck in your head for the rest of the day. Now I’m sure you are wondering what this has to do with personal finance. Well the word money is clearly in the lyrics, but digging in deeper my interruption of the lyric I believe the song has a lot to do with personal finance.
“Lately I been, I been losing sleep Dreaming about the things that we could be But baby, I been, I been prayin' hard Said no more counting dollars We'll be counting stars Yeah, we'll be counting stars”
Seems to me someone is losing sleep over their financial situation and has stopping counting their money and is dreaming of a better life.
[Chorus] Lately I been, I been losing sleep (hey!) Dreaming about the things that we could be But baby, I been, I been prayin' hard (hey!) Said no more counting dollars We'll be counting stars Lately I been, I been losing sleep (hey!) Dreaming about the things that we could be But baby, I been, I been prayin' hard (hey!) Said no more counting dollars We'll be, we'll be counting stars
And again in the chorus dreaming about things we could be or have. Continues to lose sleep over their current situation and is praying for help.

One Republic front man Ryan Tedder recently said he wrote the song about money problems he and his wife had when they were first married. Hi struggles when his first got into the music business to make steady income. What do you think? Do you like the song? What do you think the lyrics mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment