Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Realization

December is here. Only 24 days until Christmas. As I sat and watched Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer with my 3 children last night I couldn’t help falling into the Holiday spirit. Decorations are popping up all overall my neighborhood. My wife has started to get our house in shape. I’m planning on tackling the outside this weekend. I tried to recall when I found out. When the big Christmas myth was spoiled for me. I can’t remember the exact moment, but I recall seeing some gifts in a bag purchased by my parents and later that Christmas receiving those same items from Santa. I don’t think I had that ah-ha moment, it was more of a slow process piecing little things together. Sometime when I was 10 or 11 years old I realized that Santa Claus wasn’t real. I wasn’t shocked. My 3 children ages 11,11, and 8 still believe. My wife and I plan on keeping the secret alive as long as we can. I have a feeling my oldest son and daughter have started to piece things together for themselves, but have yet to say anything.



When the time comes I have faith that they will keep the secret alive for their younger brother. I think that this would be one of those teachable moments to explain to them about savings and budgeting. Sure for them today Christmas is about getting gifts off their wish list, but as they get older it’s more about spending time with family, friends, and giving to others. Giving my children the understanding to save and plan to provide that Christmas experience each year is a valuable lesson.

When/how did you learn that Santa Claus was not real? If you have kids – have them made the realization yet?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment