Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Shenanigans!

I call shenanigans on CNN money. They recently posted an article about what to do if you have $1000 lying around. Give the uncertain economic picture you should spend it. Here are some of those 15 things they suggested you do with it.

#1 - hit the Electronics store
#3 - stock up on coffee and cotton
#5 - buy wine
#14 - hire a investment manager
#15 - join a number of memberships


Shenanigans, shenanigans, shenanigans! I took their advice last night I went to Costco with my new investment manager, liquored up and high on caffeine he helped me pick out a 52 inch plasma TV and 72 pair of tighty whities. They did however have a number of practical recommendations on their list including:

#7 - boosting your college fund
#8 - deposit in a high yield saving account
#9 - invest it
#12 - boost your retirement fund


Overall I thought half of their list was good advice, the other half felt move like a Letterman top ten list. If you want an even better laugh you should see their what do do with $50,000 list. #3 was my favorite - Buy a sweet ride. Shenanigans!

If you where handed $1000, what would you do with it?

5 comments:

  1. Well, I sure as heck wouldn't go to Best Buy or Costco! At least not right now. On the other hand, if my financial goals were met and I still had an iPad or a TV on my wish list, then maybe I would. But if my financial goals were met, I'd be able to afford those kinds of things anyway. So...since they aren't met...that money would go strait to the debt fund and I'd be debt free about a month earlier than planned! That wouldn't be to shabby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having your financial goals set is a must, before going on a shopping spree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would buy new fireplace doors as I currently have bubble wrap covering the fire box right now. (Is that what the opening to the fireplace is called?)

    I quite often find that CNN/Yahoo is full of inane advice, but it is still fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh that $1000 would go straight to the student loan or the mortgage as a prepayment. Although I would be tempted to take a small portion and use it for gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gadgets are always tempting, but I agree get rid of the debt first! :)

    ReplyDelete