Friday, September 24, 2010

I bet you my Serpentine is newer then yours!

Murphy kicked me in the teeth again today. On my drive into work my car broke down. The Serpentine belt snapped. The Serpentime belt drives multiple peripheral devices in an automotive engine, such as an alternator, power steering pump, water pump, A/C compressor, air pump, etc. Looks to be a little over $200 to get fixed. So in the month that I've decided to track all of of expense I've had 3 unexpected expensive twice with issues with my car. Good times!



It was like a scene out of a sitcom after the car broke down. I pulled over to the side of the highway. I called my wife and asked her to call our insurance company. We have towing included. They stated that the roadway was a restricted roadway and proceed to call 911. In the meantime we have Highway Emergency Local Patrols or HELP trucks that patrol the highways. One pulls up, I tell the guy what happened and that I have a tow truck on the way. I then get a call on my cell phone from a sheriff's dispatcher and she's tells me a sheriff is on his way. 2 minutes later he pulls up. He comes to my car and asks me if I need help. I tell him no, and he asked why I called 911. I explain that I didn't and I believe that my insurance company did. I asked him if the highway was a restricted area for tow trucks and he says no. He leaves. After a few minutes my wife shows up. She had called our local auto shop who was on their way to tow my car. A really, really great way to start my Thursday! We called back our insurance company and made sure they had the right information. Turns out the first rep we spoke with gave us the wrong info. Boy I wish I had an emergency fund

No comments:

Post a Comment