Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Finance Favors?

With my recent car troubles I have had to rely on a co-worker twice for a ride home, in order to save my wife a trip in to pick me up in rush hour. What's the rule on favor like this? I offered to buy him lunch for his efforts. I never look for a hand out and would certainly return the favor if he needed a ride. I have in the past paid this favor forward with other co-work, giving them a ride from time to time. This is about the extent that I go to when asking co-workers and friends for help. You help me and I'll help you. My brother and I use the old fashion barter system. He'll lends a hand with home repairs and I'll give him a hand with computer repairs. This works nicely. We leverage our strengths and we help each other out. This however can get much more time intensive since home repair or computer repair can take a lot longer then a ride to work.




To take this thought a step further I have never asked anyone other then my parents to borrow cold hard cash. Sure I have on occasion asked a co-work to lend me lunch money when we were ordering lunch, only to hit the ATM later that day for the repayment. My parents lent me the money and I paid them back over time. My wife and I had one of our children's classmate's parents ask us to borrow money once. He needed the cash for an appliance delivery because he didn't have time to go to the bank. In the tune of over $400. Other then the fact that our children went to school together I didn't know this guy from Adam and there was no way I was going to lend him the cash. I found it surprising that he would even ask.

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you has to ask someone to borrow money or been ask to be the lender? How did you handle it?

1 comment:

  1. Like you I've only really borrowed money from parents - since I've been married that is. I once borrowed $400 from church members to buy a used car for work. I paid them back in about 6-8 weeks.

    ReplyDelete