Monday, July 12, 2010

The Cost of Trains, Planes and Automobiles

Talk about sticker shock. $30 dollars round trip for train fair today into New York City. Wow. I don't have to travel into the city often for work, but had to today. It got me thinking of the cost of transportation in general. Gas prices, air fare etc. Why do these things cost so much. I did a little research on gas prices. Each state applies different tax rates to gas as well as a Federal tax. See the link for you states info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

Wouldn't you know, my state NY has one of the highest tax rates.





We were recently planning our summer vacation. We were planning on visiting family out of state and need to fly and then rent a car when we arrived. Family of 5 traveling. Cheapest air fare I could find was $450 round trip per ticket. So $2250 before car rental. I never looked up the rental, because we can't afford $2250 just to get somewhere for vacation. Say $300 for a car for a week. We'd be in over $2500 for our trip and we haven't done anything. I love my family and all, but one can not spend that type of money just to get somewhere to visit them.

I wonder how others deal with travel costs? Car pools, take vacations where you can drive? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment